Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Bad Hair Day

Not off to a good start today. As you can tell from the title, it’s one of those "bad hair days". Could there be any worse way to start the day? Well, I suppose that there could be but it’s about the worst start that I could have.

My hair is getting long. Too long. I would like to cut it but there are 2 reasons that I haven’t yet. Firstly, my husband keeps telling me how much he loves my long hair. The longer, the better according to him. Secondly, I just can’t afford a freakin’ haircut right now. What to do?


My hair has been a struggle my whole life. I was born with naturally curly hair. Lucky me. It’s been the bane of my existence since I was old enough to comprehend that my hair was different than then lovely straight manes of my friends. Remember the ‘70s? Farrah Fawcett and all that? The feathered look just wouldn’t work for me and boy was I jealous of all the kids in class that could style those feathers into their hair so perfectly.

Then in the ’80’s poofy bangs were all the rage. Well due to the lovely "cowlick" in my own bangs I usually looked very lopsided. Finally I gave up on bangs all together. I grew them out and that was the first time that I was slightly ahead of the style. In the ‘90’s everyone grew out their bangs and that was fine by me. Now, the current styles seem to dictate that anything goes. That’s good news for me but straight hair is always more "in" then curls. I get frustrated when I see movie stars with curly hair always straightening their locks. Please, for once, make curly hair cool! Nicole Kidman, Minnie Driver and Julia Roberts are among a few whom straighten their tresses regularly and I really wish they wouldn’t.

I grew my hair so that I could have a fabulous updo for my wedding. It worked out perfectly but now I’m dealing with the consequences. I’m house poor and still recovering from the costs of the wedding. Eric needs a cut too. Lucky for him a "good" cut costs about $10. I only wish.

My hair is subject to what I have dubbed "hair moods". Everyday it sits slightly different. The curls may look different on any given day. Some days I just have to shake it out and add a little hairspray. Other days, I waste my whole morning fighting with it until it looks semi presentable. It’s so frustrating but I haven’t had a good hissy fit in the morning in a long time. My parents can attest to the fact that more brushes used to get flung into whichever wall was handy at least once or twice a week when I was a little younger. Since then I have more or less come to terms with my hair but there are still mornings like this when it just utterly defeats me.
 
To top the whole thing off this morning it was so hot in the bathroom that I was sweating while I tried to deal with my mop. Then I couldn’t find my favourite clip (and only clip) that I use to clip up the ‘do if I can’t do anything else with it.


So here I sit at my desk, cringing because my hair is pulled back in a cheap elastic band. It will bother me all day long. I’m pretty neurotic about getting my hair just perfect so days like this drive me mad.

Wish me luck for tomorrow.

The Buzz:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Alianora declared...

I can relate to what you are going through, as my own hair is VERY thick and wavy. At the slightest breeze it becomes a mess of tangles, so I keep it in a french braid EVERY Day while I am out on jobsites to maintain my sanity. I haven't grown it more than 3 inches past my shoulders in over 4 years and even THAT is pushing it. Time for a trim! Hope tomorrow is better!

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Alianora declared...

If I catch a deer later today at my parents' house, I'll get a picture of him. There are 4 deer that frequent my father's orchards. My name is pronounced Fraya *like frayed jeans*

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Cuppa declared...

Shall I hunt up the scissors and polish up my hair trimming skills?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home