Thursday, July 22, 2004

It Soothes the Soul

This weekend I’m going for girl’s weekend with one of my closest friends. Kris and I have been using The Farm as our retreat for around 7 or 8 years now I’d guess. This coming weekend is only the latest in a series of fun times that I’m sure I will elaborate on next week.

The Farm is like a balm for tired bodies, minds and spirits. Its towering pine trees, babbling river and tall grass call to me over the miles until I come and immerse my weary self in its splendor. This marvelous piece of heaven actually belongs to my favourite Aunt and Uncle but they let me use it whenever I please or feel the need. Am I not lucky to have such a haven available to me?

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t only go there when I’m sad or tired or blue. It can also be the greatest things that take me there. Not even a year ago, Eric and I dropped in on my parents, who were vacationing there at the time, to tell them the wonderful news that we had just gotten engaged. Also last year, we celebrated my Uncle’s 50th birthday there and my cousin’s wedding. More recently, Eric and I spent our honeymoon there.

Those were the loud, crazy, celebratory times but usually it’s just a couple or a few of us relaxing, reading, eating and enjoying the luxury of the experience. Just thinking about it makes me a little less tired and a little more able to face the rest of the work week.

On any given day we’ll sleep until we feel like getting up. If there’s a big crowd in attendance we’ll often cook a large breakfast for a sometimes rambunctious crowd. If there are only a couple of us there we’ll have a more leisurely start to the morning. After that the days is ours to do as we please. The choices are endless. Take a brisk country walk down the road or maybe a jaunt around the property’s trails. Or, if we’re feeling ambitious a hike across the road in the more "untamed" part of the property.

Maybe it’s raining so we’ll go into town and hunt and peek into all the corners of the unique little shops that we find. Or the rain will keep us indoors entirely and we’ll spend the afternoon curled up with a good book in the light pooled by the window or under the warm glow of a lamp.

In between afternoon snacks or after a light lunch maybe we’ll catch a quick nap in the hammock or visit the Swimming Hole for a quick dip. Kris and I have even been known to spend hours clamming or traveling the length of the river on our air mattresses as it snakes through the property.

There have been summers that I have spent almost every weekend there. These weekends were sometimes with friends and family but other times, just by myself. The Farm answered the needs of my life at the time and ministered to me in many different ways. For the past couple of summers my visits have been fewer because of demands on time. But I carry a piece of The Farm with me in my heart and knowing that I will get there sooner or later gets me through until I can feel its healing touch again.

Doesn’t it sound divine? Don’t you just love it? What will I find myself doing this weekend? Hopefully the mosquitoes will be scarce and the hummingbirds will be plentiful. Hopefully, the sun will shine but the humidity will stay in the city. But whether there’s rain or sun I know that I will come back refreshed and rejuvenated.



The Buzz:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Cuppa declared...

Yes, there is magic in the air at the farm and I envy you your trip there this weekend. Enjoy!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Alianora declared...

I hope you have a wonderful Girls' Weekend! My roomate and some of her friends are going on a 2 week roadtrip, leaving today, so I will have the house to myself for 2 weeks. It will be quite an adjustment. There is always constant movement and visitors at our home, this will be interesting. Although, I am taking the dog on a hike tomorrow in the mountains.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Alianora declared...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home