Monday, August 23, 2004

Let's Pretend....

And just where is the year going anyway? I feel like I'm still getting used to writing 2004 on my cheques and it's more than half over! What is up with that? It's almost September which means that the too short Canadian summer is almost over. Fall is almost here which means that the whole country kicks into high gear. Before we know it Christmas will be upon us and then I gotta get used to writing 2005!

I spend all winter wistfully dreaming of summer. It's not the heat and humidity that I dream about it's more the feelings and attitude that summer evokes. Remember when we were in school? At the end of June, the summer months would stretch ahead and promise endless possibilities. Sunshine and free time abounded. Excitement grew until we packed up and headed to the cottage for a couple of weeks. It was fantastic. It seemed like it was a prize that we earned for spending the rest of the year in school.

Now, I look forward to summer just as much but I have little or no time off. Where's my prize now? The weekends go by too fast and then summer is over before we know it. We run around trying to cram in barbecues and weekends away and gardening and outside projects but there's never enough time.

To top it all off commercials and advertisements are rushing everyone into back to school shopping. Can they lay off a bit? We don't need to be reminded and so cruelly jarred from our summertime bliss. I'm not even going back to school and the back to school fever depresses the hell out of me. The poor kids and teachers.

Have you been to the stores? Not only are we assaulted on all sides with lined paper on sale and pencil crayons in the bargain bin. There are already aisles full of Hallowe'en decorations and costumes. Holy cow. A workmate hit the local Costco the other day and they've already got a full aisle of Christmas Decs out!!! Are they nuts?

So, please, join me in making this last week and a half of August seem long and leisurely. Let's all ignore the commercials and billboards. In fact, let's just turn off the TV altogether and pretend it's still July. Kick back and look around you. Ignore your "to do" list and watch instead as the trees wave their still green leaves and the flowers soak up the sunshine. Fire up the barbecue and cook a big summer steak. Grab a popsicle from the Ice Cream cart and watch people walking their dogs from the shade of your porch. After all. It ain't over till it's over.

The Buzz:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Cuppa declared...

The fat lady is warming up, but she hasn't started to sing yet, so I will join you in turning down the volume so I can't even hear her warming up. Let summer reign!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Alianora declared...

I second that, though autumn is my favorite time of year, I am not ready! It started RAINING here. Raining for the first time in a month!! ACK! I don't like that! I am not ready for Christmas, I am not even prepared for Thanksgiving or Labor Day! Luckily I'll be busy this week but still...

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Dragonfly declared...

I have been thinking about that, as well. The summer (and it´s not even that long here in Finland) is almost over and I feel like I haven´t even enjoyed it yet. Well, that´s how I feel, anyway. But I also love autumn. The nature is full of colours. But I don´t like the time between REAL autumn and snow...Grrr. Everything looks so grey, people and the nature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home