Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Separating Need From Want

Lately I've noticed that I've been using the word 'need' a lot. I have never given this much thought until I took the time to actually study my use of this word. I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one guilty of this) often mistake 'want' for 'need'.

This summer Eric and I have been doing work around the house. Giving it a facelift. There's much more to be done. The word 'need' was entering into my vocabulary a lot with these projects.

"We need new chairs in this room."
"That wall really needs a new big picture or painting hung just so."
"Our yard needs a fence."
"I need to get a new bed spread."
"We need to replace this carpet."

I could go on and on and on.

The truth of the matter is, I need none of these things. I would really like to have them but I need none of them. I really need to work on this concept. There are few things in life that I actually need. I need exactly what I have. I need my family. I need my friends. I need food and shelter. I need the love of my husband. I need to pay my bills on time. These are all things that I have. Aside from a little dental work maybe there's really nothing more that I need. Isn't that fantastic? Wow. I've never really looked at things in this way before.

I have to learn that all the things that I want will come over time but for now I have all that I need.

The Buzz:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger shadowbox declared...

Hey thanks for your kind comments. Glad you enjoy the one-liners. Guessing how they relate to things is part of the fun.

As for your post...too much of this world is run by want and too little by need.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger colleen declared...

Hey there... saw your comment on my blog days ago, and have tried to comment back off and on recenty... blooger's server was being stupid so commenting became nearly impossible.

I *think* we've got the move thing sorted (and in only what... 4 days?) or at least have a plan A & plan B.

I don't think that BC discriminates against pets either... seems like there was some sorta legislation passed not that long ago... but lots of places say No Pets in their ads... we've been living in a "no pet" building for 4 years with cats, so I do't think there's much that can be done. Mwah ha ha. :P

You do have me all curious as to how you found me tho. :)

talk soon
Colleen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home