Monday, August 23, 2004

Time Will Tell

A friend of mine went to a funeral recently. On the little remembrance card was a poem that the woman who had passed away had written. It goes like this.

Time Will Tell

The cosmetic signs of aging
Don't bother me a lot,
It's what goes on inside my head
That gives me cause for thought.

I hope my brain's not filled with cobwebs
That take me to another place,
Where I can't enjoy my family
Because I don't recognize a face.

I hope I keep my sense of humour,
And be compassionate and kind,
And realize that age does not give me license
To say whatever's on my mind.

I hope I don't out live my welcome,
And when my work on earth is done,
I'd rather be a pleasant memory.

--Dori Ellard

I think that these words are so wise and touching. The third verse, in particular spoke to me. I wish that more people would realize that they do not have license to say whatever they want. Things you may say in passing may be more hurtful than you know. Language barriers or age are no excuse. If we could all work towards being a "pleasant memory" the world might be a better place.



The Buzz:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Alianora declared...

That's a very good point. I have always had a problem with shooting my mouth off before thinking about how it effects others. The past few months, I have been much more conscious about what I say and how it will effect others. And it's much less taxing on the heart and soul to not have to wonder how my comments were percieved by the other party, as well. Makes me feel better about myself as a human being. We are all humans and the race is long, but it's mainly with ourselves, so why bother going out of our way to harm others?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home