Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Take a Leap.

Over the last few days I've been trying something. It wasn't really even a conscious effort. It just kinda happened.

I've been trying to step out of my comfort zone so to speak. Taking steps that I might not have taken before. Going that extra mile when it wasn't necessary. When I wrote my last post about how we had just moved to this neighbourhood, I was reminded how one neighbour in particular went out of his way to welcome us and befriend us. While it was only a little gesture for him it meant a lot to us. He took that step, not knowing what we were like or how he would be received. It was appreciated.

I'm not given to taking those extra steps in meeting people. More than happy to be introduced by someone else but I'm not too comfortable "putting myself out there". But this weekend I did it. So glad that I did. Our new neighbour was sitting on her deck all by herself. I think she was kinda watching us. In my head, I hummed and hawed about going over there and introducing myself. Isn't that silly? It only cost me 5 minutes of my day to do it and I still had to talk myself into it. But I did it and I was well received. I have nothing in common with this woman. We're separated by age, language and culture among other things but I just hope that by going over there and taking the time to welcome her to our street that she felt a degree of the welcome that we felt when our neighbour welcomed us.

That was out of character for me. By saying that I don't mean to imply that I'm unfriendly or snobby. I just don't have a lot of confidence when in those types of situations. I'd rather take the easy route. Since the weekend I've taken 2 other "leaps". Mind you. Leaps for me are second nature for some. I suppose that my reluctance to put myself out there could be translated into some sort of fear of rejection. I wouldn't begin to know how to analyze that but I guess it's possible.

I pledge to take these leaps more often. Wish me luck.


The Buzz:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Dale declared...

Good Luck, Shauna. You GROW girl!!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger shadowbox declared...

Isn't it funny how we avoid doing so many things simply out of fear of rejection. I completely empathize with how hard it is to overcome that fear.

P.S. Yeah I'm a few years older (but these days I sure feel like I'm 114). How did you know?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home