Sunday, October 24, 2004

6's & 7's

I'm at sixes and sevens tonight. And where did that saying come from anyhow?


The Buzz:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger shadowbox declared...

Word geek to the rescue. This comes courtesy of wordorigins.org:

"At sixes and sevens is a very old catchphrase and relates to gambling. It first appears c. 1374 in Chaucer's Troylus. The original phrasing was set upon six and seven. It originally referred to betting one's entire fortune on one throw of the dice. It connoted carelessness, and over time the phrase came to mean confusion, disorder, and disagreement. The plural form sixes and sevens became standard in the 18th century."

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Dale declared...

Thank you, Shadowbox, although I had never heard that expression before. And Shauna, why were you feeling that way? Hmmmm??

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger chunk declared...

You were at sixes and sevens? Or you were sixes and sevens. I am confused. Which is not new. Is being confused eights and nines? Am I rambling? My brain hurts.

J.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Butterfly declared...

Such confusion comes from my own. Ha!

Thanks Shadow for telling me where it comes from. I can always count on you.

Yes Jason I'm AT sixes and sevens. That's just the saying. Meaning "I'm a little lost tonight". A little restless but not knowing what do to with myself.

And Dale. I don't really know what had me feeling that way. Just a mood I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home