Sunday, October 31, 2004

Farewell Petunias.

Today has been a productive day. But a sad one. Sad because I'm saying goodbye to the Summer and the Fall. Pretty much all the coloured leaves are gone at my end of the world. That always makes me feel a little blue.

I pulled out my flower beds today. The first gardens that I planted in my first house are gone. It seems like I just planted them last week. How time is flying. They turned out well, my flower beds. Being the beginner I am it was a little daunting to fly by the seat of my pants and just learn by trial and error. But it all worked out in the end. My petunias and alysum grew to be massive and impressive. My hanging baskets were awesome. Until I got sick of pruning them anyway.

I cut back the massive wild rose bush that I hate. I tried to talk Eric into helping pull the damn thing out and just be done with it. I think that he kinda likes it because he told me all the reasons that we should wait until next year. Well if he still doesn't help me pull it out next spring I may be forced to enlist the help of my (oh so hunky) neighbour. That would be too bad. :)

I attempted to plant the rest of my spring bulbs. I planted a few a week or two ago during a nice evening that we had. I couldn't get much done because, crazily enough, the mosquitos were thick and driving me away. It'll be interesting to see if any of the bulbs take because I could only plant them so deep and most of them got put in quite late. If they do grow it may end up being pretty funny as to any kind of pattern. I ended up just throwing most of them in randomly.

Our deck furniture is all stored away now. Cushions wraped in plastic and chairs taken apart. They sit forlornly on the shelf in our garage.

We left the Barbeque out though. Eric swears to me that he will barbeque even in Winter and I plan to make him keep that promise.

So farewell petunias and alysum. Farewell to my beloved patio set. Farewell to Sunday afternoons on the deck with friends. Farewell to sitting on the porch in the evening.

Until next year......


The Buzz:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Cuppa declared...

"And the seasons, they go round and round and the painted ponies go up and down.........and we go round and round and round in the circle game." Isn't that how the song goes?
Before you know it the bulbs will be poking up through the snow and spring will be just around the corner. The trouble with winter is, it always overstays its welcome. Spring and fall zip right past, but winter just doesn't know when to quit. Where or where did last year go? ....and we go round and round and round in the circle game.
Don't get dizzy, just enjoy each spin and go with it. Look forward to cozy winter evenings by the fire and a more relaxed pace for Christmas in your new home this year. What a treat after last year huh?
Our garden is still in full bloom, but I am sure it won't last much longer. I will enjoy the colour for a few more days and then get out there and cut back what I need to and put the garden to bed for the winter.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud declared...

I guess we're all getting ready for winter. I bought a coat today.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Alianora declared...

I just love this time of year. It's a bit sad saying goodbye to the summer's warmth, but it gives us a good reason to snuggle by the fire with the one we love and welcome a new year that's approaching...

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Zulu declared...

I agree this is a sad time of year...thankfully, things here are still hanging on to the final bit of color and life. Not all the leaves are off the trees and many plants are still in bloom. It's rainy today but the temp is still in the 60's and 70's. Trying to enjoy this while I can because I know it's soon to fade.

As for your flower beds...there is something pretty rewarding about seeing the new blooms you planted when Spring rolls around. It's like a little present because I tend to forget what I planted and then out of nowhere something beautiful and colorful emerges.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger shadowbox declared...

There's no such thing as a bad time of year to BBQ. I have mine hooked up to the natural gas line and without the hassle of having the worry about propane, I use mine plenty throughout the winter. Nothing beats the smell of barbeque in the middle of winter when it's a billion below zero.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger colleen declared...

Hey Sha - just playing catch up re the gamil account - email me and let me know which address to send it to and I'll take care of it today. I went to LA the day I got your reply and I'm just now getting around to replying to my voluminous inbox! :P

talk soon!
C
;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home