Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Would You if You Could?

In a recent "conversation" with a friend an interesting point came up. Would you ever choose to meet your blog friends in person? Before you jump in and say "Yes, of course." think about the possible ramifications.

After meeting someone in person could you still reveal all in the anonymous way that we've gotten used to? Could you look them in the eye knowing that they are privy to a lot of what goes on in your head? What if you didn't hit it off? Would you go back home and comment as usual? Would you feel a sense of loss?

And before you say "No Way!" think about the possibilities.

Maybe you would lose an opportunity to be more than 'blog friends'. Perhaps you'd hit it off right away and the experience would enhance your commenting. Maybe you'd skip the comments altogether and start phoning. Since it's likely that you already have something in common with each of your blog friends and you've already made a connection of sorts, would friendship in person be a given?

I read about 20 blogs faithfully. They range from serious, moody, and deep to chatty, funny and lighthearted. Some are general newsy blogs. Others are very personal. Some would possibly make the transition to face to face friends quite easily. Others would not.

So what do you think? What would you do?

The Buzz:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud declared...

I think that we have to stop meeting like this.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Zulu declared...

I have some friends that read my blog that I see on a regular basis. My sister is one of my readers. I don't necessarily censor myself because I know they read...but I don't necessarily talk about issues that pertain to them on my Subjectiveness blog either.

As for meeting my blog friends...maybe, but I don't really know. I would be afraid to lose that friendship by meeting and possibly not being who they thought I was or they weren't who I thought they were. People in the "old" days used to have pen pals...I think of my blog friends as pen pals. We have a different kind of friendship that doesn't require contact.

But, then again...it would be nice to put faces (if no pics available) and voices with the people that I talk to almost daily and who I look forward to hearing about.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger JV declared...

Would I if I could? Sometimes when I'm out and about, I wonder if I'll see someone I recognize from their blog photo. I always picture myself approaching the person. I know roughly where some of you folks live, but not others. I haven't divulged where I live or my real name, and I don't tell anyone that I know in person about my blog. I want to be able to say what I need to say without worrying about what my friends will think. On the other hand, I'm already coming to think of some of you as friends, and wonder what you will think of some of the things I will write eventually. Maybe I will have to settle for having in-person friends and blog friends, and the two groups won't know each other.

Each group of friends knows a different version of me, and I don't think that meeting my blog friends in person would ruin what I have with them. In some ways, people who read my blog will know me more deeply than many of the people who know my name, where I live, etc. I know that the friendly interaction I've shared with some of you has added to the pleasure and satisfaction of blogging.

That was the long answer. The short answer is "yes".

JV

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Dale declared...

Absolutely! I would happily meet any of my blog mates. I'm sure I'd hit it off with some and with others, it might be more awkward. What I see here in this internet age of impersonal anonymity, is that people are suddenly enjoying the freedom to be much more open and honest about themselves. Others respond in kind, and before long, close relationships are formed. We feel as though we're best friends, having bonded in a way that perhaps we never have before with anyone. Who among us doesn't know of someone who has met the current Love of their Life on the internet?

I'm suggesting that it's neither blogging, nor the anonymity of the internet that creates these amazing "virtual" friendships, but rather shared intimacies that foster mutual understanding and trust. When we find we can safely lay down our weapons and remove our armour, we find that we're all the same. We have the same desires. The same fears. The same emotional needs. And we discover that we're not ALONE here. Instead, we're ALL ONE.

I'd meet with any one of you. I'm much more than a "virtual" friend. I'm real!

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Dragonfly declared...

Interesting. I met my boyfriend thru internet. We emailed as friends for almost two years. Then something just changed, we met..and here we are, living together and engaged.

Me and Alianora, we have known each other for five years, maybe more. I feel there is a certain bond between us, if there wasn´t we wouldn´t have stayed in touch this long after all that has happened in our lives. What do you think, F? :-)

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Alianora declared...

I certainly agree, Dragonfly! ;-) You and Steph have been my longest friendship online, along with Wesley. All three of you are still my dearest friends to this day, I've yet to meet you and Steph!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Iona declared...

Wow, I think in some cases it would be quite difficult to meet someone face to face who has been reading your blog on a regular basis. They know all these personal things/secrets about you.
But then if I look at the bright/positive side.. Of course I would wanna meet my fellow Bloggers. Only good things can come from that, right?
BTW; I also met my hubby via Internet and look where it got me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home