Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Desperate Housewife.

Although I hold a full time job I've been feeling very much like a housewife. A desperate one at that.

Why has the running of the house come to be my responsibility only? Why am I the only person who notices that the litter needs to be emptied or that the bathroom counter needs to be cleaned or that laundry needs to be done or that the carpet is overdue to be vaccumed?

It's a little frustrating. It's a lot annoying.

It is because I don't have a dangling appendage between my legs that this has become only my domain? Does having a penis inhibit these particular messages from travelling to the male brain?

Before we bought a house and got married Eric used to clean. Sometimes he would notice before I would that something needed to be tidied or scrubbed or what have you. Not any more. I must have missed the part in our vows where I promised to be his domestic servant for evermore.

Oh wait. I've been unfair. In the summer he's the only one that mows the lawn because I am allergic to grass. Oh. And also he usually takes out the garbage once I have it all collected for him. Isn't that nice of him?

Wouldn't it be grand if once Eric removed his last pair of clean shorts from his drawer, it would dawn on him to throw some laundry in? Or if he could clean up the dinner dishes without having to be asked?

Okay. I know I'm being a total bitch but I needed to get that rant out of my system.

I feel (slightly) better now.

The Buzz:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Zulu declared...

Kindred spirits indeed.

SP does things, but a lot of the time not fully. I don't know if he is suffering from that male affliction that makes him screw it up in hopes that I will do it because I think I do it better.

Is there a fix to this problem?

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud declared...

"Why has the running of the house come to be my responsibility only?"

I'm not sure why more women don't get this. It's so blasted simple.

The house *is* the woman's domain, and you really wouldn't have it any other way. What I mean is that women tend to want prime say in furnishings, colour schemes, appointments etc.

That doesn't mean that the guy gets to do nothing, but it does mean that the gal notices things first (or only). What you want the guy to do, you ask for. And you do it nicely because he's not really trying to screw up your life and make things difficult. He just doesn't see and/or doesn't think. It's sin by omission not commission. There's a difference.

One rant deserves another. :)

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Iona declared...

Wow, it was as if I just heard myself talk!

I think I'm going to let my hubby read this entry of yours so that he knows I'm not the only one saying these kind of things! Thanks!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger John B. declared...

Yes, it must be the dangling appendage that causes this problem with us men...that is what my wife tells me is the reason that I don't notice certain things that need to be done around the house. Heck, we get blamed for everything anymore!

I do my share of cleaning, don't get me wrong (my wife will admit to that), but I guess women still have a tendency to rant about these things...'nature of the beast' I tell her!

I guess one rant does deserve another...LOL. Good writing, this is the frst time I have visited your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home