Friday, November 12, 2004

Mooning Over Mr. Darcy.

Out shopping tonight and I came upon Pride & Prejudice (BBC version) on DVD for only $18. I snapped it up because I've been wanting it for close to 10 years now but never willing to pay the $50 they're usually asking for it.



It's on right now in the background as I type this. I have seen this movie so many times. Oh Mr. Darcy. How I have mooned over you since my Humanities teacher made our class read the book. I devoured that book and since then read it at least 3 other times. And I have an old VHS tape with the A&E broadcast of the movie on it. Commercials badly edited out but watched many times and loved dearly all the same.

What is the magic that Mr. Darcy holds? And by extension Colin Firth. No one else could have played Mr. Darcy nearly so well as our Colin. My heart skips a beat when he comes out of the pond, dripping wet, shirt plastered to his chest. Or when he asks Elizabeth if her feelings for him have changed. I hold my breath every time.

I think that Mr. Darcy was the 19th century's version of the dark and brooding, mysterious bad boy. The boy that is so cool and aloof but underneath smouldering with passion and oh so loveable. Oh be still my beating heart. I still have it bad for Mr. Darcy.


The Buzz:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger writersblock declared...

I must say, you've inspired me. I haven't read Pride and Prejudice in a number of years and for whatever reason, I haven't watched the DVD. It's now on the list of things to do.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger A declared...

I love that version of Pride and Prejudice!
Have you ever seen the old version with Greer Garson and Lorence Olivia? That's good too. It's only like 1 1/2 hours long...but that's the first one I watched and I loved it.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger shadowbox declared...

I never understood the appeal of Colin Frith, but then I guess I'm not supposed to.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Jen declared...

Yes, indeed! Nothing can compare to the BBC version and good old Mr. Firth. I almost watched it today, actually!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home