Saturday, November 27, 2004

On The Patch

Yahoo! Eric came home last night with presents. Presents!

First he gave me a colourful bouquet of wildflowers (which I love -- no roses or carnations for this girl!) and then he handed me a box. A small box. And before you all start thinking jewellery I will tell you that it was something much better.

Nicotine Patches! He told me that he wants to have quit smoking in time for my birthday. (Less than a month before the dreaded 32 takes hold of me.)

I am so excited. And pleased. I've been after him for a long time to quit. I can understand the lure of smoking. If it wasn't terribly bad for me I would smoke too. But I know better. So aside from the occasional cigarette when I'm having a drink I do not smoke.

I tried all sorts of approaches to encourage him to quit. Do it for yourself. Do it so that you don't cough and hack and sound like shit. Didn't work. Okay. So he's not allowed to smoke in the house or our new car. Oh well. He'll huddle on the porch or in the garage to have a butt.

Mh. Well what if we have kids? He'll quit then he tells me. Oh good idea. Just what we need. Pregnant crazy woman living with nicotine withdrawal boy. What a fun house that would be.

So I tried a new tactic. Fine. If you won't do it for yourself or for any possible future kids, then do it for me. I don't want to lose you to lung cancer. I can't live without you. Please don't leave me alone.

When I wrote a blog about cancer last week Thomas offered a very profound comment:

"I only wish people who smoke understood
that killing themselves only spreads the pain
of their death to their loved ones."


Well that really struck a cord with me and I read it aloud to Eric. I think that he finally heard me. So today he starts the Patch. I could cry. It's the best gift he could have given me.

Good luck my love. I have complete faith in you and know you can do it. I am so proud of you.

The Buzz:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud declared...

Congratulations to you and the boy.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Cuppa declared...

What a priceless gift indeed. This blog made me cry. I am so happy for both of you. Give the boy a big hug from me too.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger JV declared...

Hi Butterfly. I've heard that the number one factor in helping a person successfully quit is a supportive spouse. Your man has it made! Good luck to both of you.

JV

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger writersblock declared...

Best of luck to Eric.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Dale declared...

Good luck, Eric! My dad smoked for 60 years. He quit three years ago. You can do this. And my brother quit last year. Pat says he's saving so much money, he's thinking of taking up cocaine. (KIDDING!!)

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Iona declared...

Way to go, Eric! Good luck, hope you make it!

And it's SO nice to receive flowers. Wish my hubby would buy me some sometimes... it doesn't even have to be an expensive bouquet. I'm already satisfied with a daisy taken from the neigbors yard!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Butterfly declared...

Thanks Everyone for all your supportive comments. I made sure that E read them all. So far we're nearing the end of day 2 and he's doing really well.

I've suggested to E that he should write a guest post here and tell everyone how the battles goes.

Who knows? He might just do it.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Zulu declared...

Good luck Eric. It will be a hard task, but you can do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home