Sunday, December 26, 2004

American Chopper Christmas

I sit here at the window looking out at a typical Montreal street-scene. We are on the downside of Christmas now. And it makes me sad. In a few days people will take down their lights and decorations and we will be subjected to the dull black, white and eternal grey of winter. There will no longer be any Christmas to look forward to. No cheery red and green to dress up the season any longer.

As much as I love December I sometimes wish that Christmas could be in February. It would certainly give this winter-bound country something to look forward to through the long winter months.

But that’s just me. I often say to Eric that if I ruled the world it would be a very different place. (Perhaps I’ll expand on that someday….)

On Christmas Day I can honestly say that I did something I’ve never done before. Well, I can say I did a couple of things.

Firstly, this is the first Christmas that I have been apart from my small family on Christmas. I am with my husband’s family which, of course, is still family. But it’s the first time that I have been apart from my own parents and only the second time I have been apart from my sister. (The first was when she was in Australia, travelling for a year.)

The second thing I’ve never done before is watch the American Chopper Christmas Day Marathon. Who knew? But watch it we did. From noon on Christmas Day we were glued to American Chopper, until I finally packed it in and headed to bed with my book (The DaVinci Code) at midnight. It was still going when I closed my eyes.

I like that show. It’s interesting and funny but to watch it for 12 hours did prove to be a little much.

This afternoon I shall curl up on the corner of the couch with The DaVinci Code and read by the pale light pouring through the window.

One thing is for sure. It’s sure nice to sit back and just relax. We shall be kicking into high gear again tomorrow when we celebrate Christmas with my family.

The Buzz:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger Jen declared...

As ambivalent as I have felt about Christmas this year, I know I am going to be sad taking down my decorations this week. The house will look so empty without it. Let me know what you think of the Da Vinci Code. I loved that book.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger shadowbox declared...

It's a double-Christmas for you and yours! Today, I'll raise a glass to you and your family. Have a great one.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger rick declared...

reading a book never sounded so good... what i wouldn't give to have a spare moment to lose myself in words of another...

but... the blog bug has bitten and now i spend my time reading about the small details of people i will probably never meet...

i am getting the fever for a good book though... maybe the davinci code???

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger writersblock declared...

Although I enjoy Christmas, I never mind taking the Christmas decorations down. It seems like a fresh start to me somehow. Putting the Christmas decorations away helps me focus on the next event...my mother-in-law's birthday is today, my mother on January 3rd and my daughter on January 10th.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Amanda declared...

I like American Chopper, too. Despite all the bickering, those guys are geniuses in chopper design. I'm always telling my husband, "Paul Jr. is an ARTIST." Seriously. And I'm not into motorcycles at all.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger colleen declared...

I gotta say - as much as I find christmas more stressful than enjoyable these last several years, i love christmas lights, and no one does christmas lights better than montrealers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home