Thursday, December 09, 2004

Do They Know it's Christmas?

Am I the only one floored that Do They Know it's Christmas? is 20 years old? I was turning 12 when that came out. I remember singing that song on the school bus on the way home from school. If I'm completely honest, I have to admit that I still have the original "45" that I bought way back then. (Along with all my other 45s that I can't listen to.)

My 2 girlfriends and I thought that song was the cat's ass. While everyone else in our class was into Michael Jackson, we were huge British Rocker fans. Duran Duran was my absolute fave and their pictures plastered every spare bit of space on my bedroom walls (much to the dismy of my Mother). Imagine my swoon when we would watch the video of this great Christmas song and sigh every time they panned on Simon LeBon or John Taylor. Oh god.

Now they have remakes of the song. Who would have ever thought 20 years ago that song would be remade at least twice that I can think of off the top of my head? None are as good as the original though. At least Bono (remember when he was Bono Vox?) makes an appearance in the remake but they totally lose me with that little Rap bit close to the end. It just can't hold a candle to Boy George, Paul Young, Simon LeBon, Bono, George Michael and the whole gang.

Do They Know it's Christmas?
--Band Aid

It's Christmas time
There's no need to be afraid
At Christmas time
We let in light and we banish shade
And in our world of plenty
We can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms aroundthe world
At Christmas time

But say a prayer
Pray for the other ones
At Christmas time it's hard
But when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where theonly water flowing
Is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bellsthat ring
There are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you

Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmas time
Feed the world
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

Andthere won't be snow in Africa
This Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life
Where nothing ever grows
No rain nor rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmas time
Feed the world
Let them know it's
Christmas time again

(Here's to you) raise a glass for everyone
(Here's to them) underneath that burning sun
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmas
time


I am feeling just a little sentimental right now.

The Buzz:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger writersblock declared...

Isn't reminiscing great?

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Johnny the Horse declared...

Yes! And regardless of the shit being heaped on it, I loved the song. I even had the extended version with spoken Christmas messages from Simon le Bon, Boy George, Bonno, Paul McCartney etc.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger shadowbox declared...

I'm floored that:
1) You were 12 when it came out. I was *so* much younger. Oh so very much.
2) I lie so pathetically about my age
3) How few of the original Band Aid members still have a career in the biz. Kids today must be going "who the heck is Adam Ant??"
4) How much staying power Bono has had. Who'd have guessed that he would have turned out to be such an interesting guy?
5) Bob Geldof looks so....old!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Stacey declared...

Hey...did you know Duran Duran are going to be playing at the ACC in April? I was checking out the floor plan for the Raptors games and I noticed tickets go on sale tomorrow. I think I saw Sarah McLachlan in May too...I noticed her in your profile.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Johnny the Horse declared...

Admission. I loved and still love Adam Ant. Be gentle with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home