Sunday, December 19, 2004

Tiara-wearing Hostess.

Success. Sweet success. The whole weekend was a success.

Friday Night:

After racing home from work and blowing through the house like a tornado to get my last minute cleaning done, we waited for our houseguests to arrive. My best friend (Krista) and her best boy (Nick) drove 7 hours (from my home town) to spend the weekend with us and to help and participate in my fabulous dinner party. Krista and I drank copious amounts of red wine while we made up some of the food and set up the table. Then we drank more copious amounts of red wine while the four of us sat and chatted late into the night.

Things managed to get a little silly and for whatever reason I ended up rummaging around for my wedding tiara. Don't ask me what made me get it out. But dammit it sure seemed like a great idea and I absolutely needed to have it on. So I found it and wore it. (Everyone was jealous of me, I'm sure.)

Once we finally decided that perhaps we should go to bed since we were all looped, I realized just exactly how toasted I was. I managed to bouce off of every wall from living room to bedroom. Apparently I also managed to make my toothbrush fly across the bathroom and out into hall. (I think that's all a big lie though) I am a wild party.

Perhaps I kept the tiara on in bed? I can't remember but it probably would have seemed like a good idea at the time. ("Let's pretend I'm a princess tonight....")

Saturday:

Morning came pretty early and with it came one of the worst hangovers I've had in years. Actually, I can say that it rivalled the hangover I endured the day after my infamous 25th birthday although -- thankfully -- it didn't last as long.

As I stumbled out of bed to find some Advil and a glass of water, the evening started coming back to me. I had forgotten about ridiculous tiara-wearing until I saw it carelessy discarded on my dresser the next morning. Oh god. Excellent start.

I tried to make a decent start of it but just making a pot of coffee proved to be too much for me and my hangover so I went back to bed and forced Eric to get up to keep our guests company.

Suffice it to say that the whole morning was a complete write off.

Once I started feeling more human, the day ran pretty smoothly. We made up the rest of the food and sent the boys out for last a few last minute things. Krista started harrassing me into opening a bottle before guests started arriving. Twist. Twist. Twist. It was a done deal. First bottle opened. And so the night began.

We ended up having 2 cancellations so what had started out as a 14 person dinner party was reduced to 10. (Still a goodly amount for my small house.) We had enough food to feed at least 20 more people so needless to say Eric and I will be eating well for the next few days.

It was a great time and went off without a hitch. The drinks were flowing. The food was good. The company was wonderful. Our last guests left after 2am and the four of us were up till almost 4am.

And yes. The tiara came back out by the end of the night.

The Buzz:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger `*Pansy*~ declared...

That sounds like such a blast! Brings back fond memories of dinner parties my roomate and I used to have every Thursday night. People often spent the night because once the bottles opened, nobody stayed sober for long. We got out board games and played charades. A few of the guys were great musicians too, so we'd sit and listen to them jam out on the guitar in the living room by the fireplace until we were either lulled to sleep or barely able to stand up. It was so much fun, I miss those days. I'm glad you had a wonderful party, Princess Sha!! *wink*

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger writersblock declared...

My Saturday was similar, although it was someone else's house not mine -- and I left my wedding veil at home...damn. I did spend part of the night reading a kids book called "Do real princesses wear hiking boots?" though.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger rick declared...

sounds like some dinner party... bc powder does wonders for hangovers... not that advil can't do the same thing, but i like the medicinal taste in my mouth... i have to KNOW that help is on the way...

i love the name krista...

any man that will let you go back to bed while he entertains your company is fine by my standards... it's the little things...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home