Thursday, January 06, 2005

Anonymity.

It's a wonderful sounding word.

Sometimes I consider abandoning this blog and starting fresh somewhere else.

Then other times I feel like I've invested too much in this blog to do that.

But if I'm gonna do it .... better now than later right?

I wonder if I would or could write so much more if no one I knew (in real life) read my posts.

I'll probably never do it. But I do wonder sometimes.

The Buzz:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue declared...

Who the heck are you!!!
There, it's official. We don't know you so get writing.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger rick declared...

well, i have often thought that bloggers who have people in their real life reading their words are probably the most frustrated of all of us... i mean, they can't even say, "i made a mistake, get the hell out of my blog!" without offending someone they know... i'm not saying that you think this, but i have wondered...

i erased my blog and started over because i had real names in it... i didn't want people i know google-ing their name and stumble upon my blog... i tried and it only took 2 names to pull up my blog in most search engines...

ehh... i'm rambling... if you do implode and start a new one, PLEASE let me know...

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger The Delawarean declared...

I feel that it is MUCH easier to write when your hands aren't tied. Fear of retrubution or being recognized is a powerful adversary to the creativity of the human soul. You'd be much happier, I can tell from the way you write. But like they said above, just let us know where you're going!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Kristin declared...

Interesting, Butterfly!. Three people in my real life know about my blog: my boyfriend (who has no desire to read it), my best friend (who thinks it is quirky and geeky and also has no desire to read it), and a girl I used to work with who's been sworn to secrecy. The fact that my family doesn't know about it lets me pour it all out, and it's been tremendously therapeutic.

But yeah. This isn't about me. If you start a new blog make sure you let your loyal (stranger) readers know where it is!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger John B. declared...

Hang in there, and take a sabbatical if you need to, the great writers do it too!

You can't force creativity, and blogging needs to be good for your soul and fun at the same time, or else it is work, and I think that you get enough of that during the day!


If you move on, let me know where you go...

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger John B. declared...

I guess that line 'the great writers do it too' can rank right up there with the 'you look tired' comment from the other day that you got at work and posted about. It didn't come out right, sorry!

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Magicfingers declared...

Do what you feel you must. But please don't leave us non-relations behind.

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

Hey Butterfly...
I feel exactly the same sometimes. I'm always looking for something bigger, better, more profound... and I am still searching for a "tone" to my blog... like sticking to one subject or mixing them all up like I do. A favorite subject is "motherhood" however, I don't think I could pull that one off. laugh

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Dale declared...

Don't, Shauna. Please.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger chunk declared...

do shauna do.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Happy and Blue declared...

Here are my thoughts:
1) Start a second blog. Use it for all your sneaky stuff.
2) Swap me blogs. Mine sucks anyway so I won't miss it.
3) Change your picture to that of a man. That will throw your friends off.
4) Write a short blog each day and then use the comments section to write your true blog anonymously.
5) Post really bad pictures of your friends/family until they become so disgusted with you that they quit reading your blog.
6) Encrypt your blog and just give us strangers the encryption key.
7) Post pictures of naked women. That won't stop your friends from reading but it would make me happy..

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

Well, HnB... one out of seven suggestions was a winner... good try tho. lol

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Jen declared...

OH yeah. You gotta start a second "secret" blog. I even have at least one other (much steamier) blog nobody really knows about. At least they don't know it's me. And my main blog IS pretty much anonymous. I am also an anonymous team member of two other all female blogs. So you see, it IS done! LOL! Just as long as you invite some of your ~ ahem ~ loyal readers to see your other works in progress. You know, because we kinda know you now, aaaaaand..... ;-)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Zulu declared...

Shauna,
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I originally let my family and friends know about my blog so that they could stay current on what was going on with me because I was moving. There are times when I want to post things I don't necessarily want them to read, but can't because they will. So, I created another blog. I definitely don't go there as much, because you all aren't there and I haven't figured out how to get some there and others not there.

Z

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

hey Z... you could always list it along with a bunch of others on your blog and not say a word about it.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger JV declared...

Yeah, I've been thinking of starting other blogs for various purposes. Maybe even one with my real name on it.

BTW, I just Googled my name and got 187,000 results, none of which are about me! Can anybody beat that?

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Johnny the Horse declared...

I changed blogs for that very reason. Now I have lots of friends reading the new one and I have to keep deleting comments where they use my name. You just can't fight crime without a mild mannered alter ego!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home