Sunday, January 16, 2005

A Bird in the Hand.

I'm back. We had a great weekend. The highlight of the weekend was feeding the birds right out of our hands. Who knew Chickadees loved peanutbutter this much?



It was truly awesome to have these little birds land on my fingers and grab greedily at the the peanutbutter I was offering. There was about 8 birds flying about and taking turns chowing down.



Eric and I were both offering food at the same time.

Try this if you ever get the chance. You won't even notice the cold. It is really neat to hold these birds so close. Everyonce if a while they stop feeding and look up, almost curious.

Very cool experience.


The Buzz:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger The Delawarean declared...

Oh that's priceless! I want to know more... Are those wild birds? As in, you just walked outside with peanut butter and they landed on your hand??? Does this only happen like once a year or something?

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Butterfly declared...

Well Del. We were out in the country. Chickadees are there year round. It was kind of an accident. We put apple pieces, popcorn, cranberries and peanut butter out (over a space of days). The birds went crazy for the peanut butter so the next step was to see if they'd be so bold as to land right on our hands. And they did.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Jen declared...

I just gotta know...does this work on men? You know, a handful of peanut butter and all these wild men come running. Yeah. Snort! :-)

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo declared...

Why does this remind me of Disney's Beauty and the Beast? Not that either of you are beastly, to be sure . . .

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud declared...

That didn't take long.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud declared...

You know, I just realized that my pics show up on RSS feeds (Sage) but that yours and most people's (on Blogger) don't. Perhaps because I used html coding?

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

Great weekend... just what the doctor ordered, eh?

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger John B. declared...

Butterfly:

I have to admit, I have watched birds for most of my life, and I have yet to have one land on me, to feed or otherwise.

I have, however, had birds crap on me a time or two...

That looks like it was a really neat experience, hope you enjoyed yourself.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Iona declared...

Nice shots! Always nice to see pictures on Blogs!
I also saw some pictures from your father's Blog and I'm so amazed by how tame those birds are!
It sounds like a very cool experience I would also like to have some day. It must feel great being so close to Mother Nature's creations!
It sure looks like you had a great weekend.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Amanda declared...

That's happened to me and my husband in Germany when we were eating ice cream cones - birds were coming up and landing on our toes (we were seated, legs outstretched) begging for bits of our cones.

In Estes Park Colorado at the top of a local mountain (you can take the air tram to the top) chipmunks will climb all over you for a peanut.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue declared...

Peanut butter also works with bears. They aren't as cute as the birds are when they sit on your hand though.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Larry declared...

I just wanted to comment on the great pics.....It must have been so amazing to have the birds come right up to you and sit and eat of you hands.....

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home