Saturday, January 22, 2005

Culture Shock.

I have been reading a very interesting blog lately. The posts are usually brief but provide snapshots of a way of life that is completely foreign to me. The writer, Nameless Girl, has a wonderful way of describing activities and happenings.

Nameless Girl (or as she is also called, BridalBeer) is, quite possibly, heading into an arranged marriage. I do not knock this. There are many aspects of other cultures that are different from ours. But I cannot understand it. And maybe that's why I raptly read on. To catch a glimpse. To look for understanding. If only a little bit .

Nameless Girl has turned her comments off. While this disappoints me a little, I can understand why she might want to do so.

Keep writing Nameless Girl.

The Buzz:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

I agree sha... I've been following her as well.. I think she should open her comments back up. But maybe people close them off because they can't be bothered with answering questions or defending their writings... shrug

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo declared...

I'm beginning to see the value of an arranged marriage . . . I belive our culture (Western) have outrageously over-rated this idea of "true love" . . .

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger writersblock declared...

I'm going to check this blog out. I read a magazine article from the perspective of a female going into an arranged marraige. She compared our society to hers and pointed out that she thought our society was nuts for allowing marraiges that were based primarily on sexual attraction. In her mind, if there was no cultural similarity, the marraige would be likely to fail. She also said that some parents go to much trouble to find a suitable and compatible spouse while others seem to have a mutual agreement from a very early age.

I also met a couple on my honeymoon (in Greece) that had an arranged marriage. She was from Kuwait. He was an engineer who had moved to Montreal. He went back home to get married. He was twelve years older than she was (and he was very good looking I might add.) They were a very sweet couple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home