Monday, January 03, 2005

Fresh.

My company is gone. The house is quiet. I sit here and put off that which I know I must start.

Taking down the Christmas decorations.

It's a sad day. I always find the house empty and bland for the first little while.

And this year I fear that once I get everything packed up I may get the insane urge to reorganize the house and move things around. I can just feel it. Time to freshen things up a bit.

And so it begins.

The Buzz:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger John B. declared...

We at The CPF household are just happy to have our dining room back...sans Christmas tree. The room looks spacious now.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Amanda declared...

I hate taking down/putting away the Christmas decorations. There should be someone you can hire to do that.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger rick declared...

oh, go ahead and reorganize... it's good for the soul... (and you'll probably find some things you've lost over the last few months... a favorite pair of socks, the spare keys...)

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Kristin declared...

That is exactly what I did today - remove garlands and sniffle at the site of the tragically bare banister. And then, just to shake it up, I moved the sofa against the other wall. It is somewhat pathetic that this was the highlight of my day, but it does feel good to freshen it up!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue declared...

I just take my contacts out for a few days. Everything seems blurry and new.
Thanks for the comment on my site and the offer of help. Any help would be much appreciated.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Magicfingers declared...

We took our tree and decorations down today. It isn't near as much fun as putting them up. Taking them down is such a sad thing. The room looks so strange now, lonesome almost. Things will get back to normal again I guess. It is just me and my husband, all the kids are grown and out. I do a lot of furniture moving and refreshing. Something you can look forward to someday.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Jen declared...

I did this on Saturday. Took all the Christmas stuff down and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. My house felt oddly open and light. I like it and yet I don't.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

On my living room window sill I put an entire little Christmas village. Homes, stores, people, animals and snow. My problem is that I don't WANT to take it down. Would this look odd in the middle of July in Texas?

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Cuppa declared...

Taking down the decorations is always tinged with sadness, but it does help if you make a ritual out of it and put some meaning to it. I liked to make a party of putting the tree up and the decorations out, but I always wanted to take them down by myself.
I would try to give myself a full quiet day at home and start early.

Put on comfy clothes but not old grubbies, and be sure to wear running shoes so your feet don't hurt or your legs ache. Then make a big pot of tea of coffee; make a plate of treats, put some favorite music on and go at things systematically and slowly. Enjoy the zen of the task.

As I took each piece down and packed it away I would list in my head all the good things that happened during the past year and look forward to what the coming year might bring. I would then list in my head what I wished for those I love and what goals I wanted to make for myself. I wold send positive thoughts to each person connectd to a specific ornament as I wrapped it and tucked it away.

All these little mind games made the task a joy even if it was time consuming and hard work. At the end of the day you will be tired, but feel like you have had a visit with yourself and all your loved ones.

The house does look bare, but also clean and uncluttered and that is a good way to start the new year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home