Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Nate Made it Real

Okay. I have to admit it. I watched Oprah the other day. Alright, alright. Stop groaning. Nate Berkus was on. I usually really enjoy watching Nate. He’s an amazing designer and he just has something about him that shines. He and his lover were caught in Asia when the big Tsunami hit.

I hope you don't think I'm callous or unfeeling but I haven't really been able to register the magnitude and the suffering of the Tsunami. Sure, I've donated some money, I've watched the news like every one else. I have murmured my disbelief and spent some time trying to imagine what it would be like to live there. To have lost my family. But it’s hard to do that isn’t it? How can I comprehend something so foreign? Something so far away? Something so unbelievable?

Well for whatever reason Nate Berkus brought it all home to me. He made it real. His lover is still missing. The love of his life is gone. Swept away. I found myself tearing up. I found myself absolutely heartbroken. After hearing his story -- so personal -- I was finally able to just attempt to imagine the pain and the devastation and the grief.

It’s odd how something on a grand scale can seem so far away, so not real. But then you hear one single story or see one single picture and it becomes painfully real.

The Buzz:

At 9:18 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue declared...

We tend to block out the bad things that are happening around us. Every once in a while something or someone connects us to the outside world and it can be harsh.
You post describes that moment exactly.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Jen declared...

I am much the same way. Sometimes for an event to hit home with me it can take a single, personal interest story or even reading about it in fiction form. Then I am hooked.

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

It's on a natural disaster scale that we've never seen before in our lifetime. Even though we watch the news and read the horrific stories I honestly don't think any of us have a real grip on it. It's just sad, really, really sad.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Happy and Blue declared...

This has nothing to do with your post. It's just an observation.
When I started blogging you were one of the first people to help me.
I have passed on information obtained from you to other bloggers. Hopefully I have given you the credit you deserved when I did.
Now, I see you have been helping Mr. Haney with his blog.
You have a talent for making things that are hard for a lot of us seem easy and clear. And you take the time to share what you know.
Thank you for being you.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger mrhaney declared...

hello sha. isn't it the truth. we hear of so many things and after a while we get use to hearing all this bad news. what use to affect us all of a sudden does not. it is like when you tell some one your problems and they nod their head and say they understand but you know they don't. they would have to walk in your shoes to really understand. we also would probably have to go through that tradgedy to really be able to comprehend it. have a good day and stop by my place whenever. thanks again for your help and your fathers on my site.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

I think we build our own communities... especially here with Blogs even. Everyone has a favorites section. To me that's a community...

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger writersblock declared...

It may be terrible to say but I still haven't felt personally touched by this disaster, must admit, I didn't see Nate though.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Magicfingers declared...

It is just unimaginable, the horror those people went through. I cried so hard those first few days. I have prayed a hundred prayers to God to please give these people strength and peace to get through this.

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Kat declared...

I feel guilt over my lack of emotions surround the devastation in Asia. I've read the same stories as everyone else. I've seen the news clips. But for some reason it doesn't touch me.

The only time I've even felt anything was when I cam across a brief description of a mother who had lost all five of her children. The pang was immediate, sharp and deep, through my gut. And then it disappeared. I shut it off.

However, I remember the quiet tears that streamed down my face as I watched 9/11 unfold. How my hand reached out wanting to stop those walls from crumbling.

So I ask my self is it because I can't relate to who the tsunami victims are? Or is it because the last four years have hardened my heart against the catastrophes my fellow man seems to constantly face?

I don't know.
-K.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

Kat, unfortunately it is a blending of both scenarios. I feel the same way. Night after night we see the death and destruction...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home