Friday, January 28, 2005

One of those weeks...

Whew! It's Friday. And it's been quite a week.

1. I'm having real trouble concentrating on work these days and not compulsively reading everyone's blogs all day.

2. It was jean day today. I heart jean day.

3. The big story in O-town today is about a man who is having a living wake tonight. He's 78 years old and suffering from a terrible lung disease that makes breathing very difficult. He's invited 5o of his friends and family out for filet mignon and a celebration of his life and then he's going to go home and commit suicide. It has sparked water cooler conversations and debates all over the city. Maybe the province.

Suicide is not illegal. If the "authorities" get wind of your plans they're required to insist that you get a psychological evaluation. The police have done that. This guy has a lawyer to make sure no one aside from him is held accountable. He's gone for the evaluations. And now he's set the plan in motion.

Any thoughts on this?

4. Did I mention that Eric was in a car accident yesterday? Didn't think so. Needless to say I was rather shaken up. He lost control of his truck on the highway. He is fine. His truck is fine. Unfortunately there was a head on collision that happened right in front of him. There is a serious injury and we're keeping our fingers crossed that the lady is okay. It's a long detailed story but the point is that he's okay.

5. Eric has been working too much overtime and it's grating on my nerves.

So that's it for the short update.


The Buzz:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue declared...

Glad your hubby is ok.
The suicide guy is disturbing. The wake is a nice touch though.
To choose death over life is sad but I'm not him.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo declared...

Wow--we often read an essay about assisted suicide in my 151 class; it centers around quality of life issues and the right to a dignified death.

But my students always seem to ask if the person is in so much emotional pain that s/he is crying for that last bit of recognization . . .

They never want to bring up thoughts on heaven/hell/after-life.

Glad your husband is ok.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Lefty Telepathy declared...

Someon's life is their own buisness and they can do whatever the want unless it harms others.

Glad Eric is okay.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Magicfingers declared...

so glad your love muffin is ok.
I think the old guy had a great idea about a living wake. It goes along with that saying "please send me flowers while I'm alive and can smell them, they are wasted after my death"
I could never commit suicide myself, I would feel like i am second guessing or questioning God. He is the only one that can let us come home.
I also work in healthcare and I know how some of the elderly suffer. It is sometimes such a blessing when one passes on. God bless the man.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger John B. declared...

I do think that the living wake is a great idea, especially if it helps the sick man to come to terms with his impending death. It also is a nice way to celebrate life with those you know and love, and is a nice way for everyone to tell each other what they truly mean to each other.

I don't buy lines like 'who are we to judge, as we have never been near death in pain'. I don't have to experience murder first hand to know that it is wrong, and I don't need to experience the pain of dying to know that assisted suicide is wrong. Our life is not ours to take as we wish, it is a gift from God.

My father ran the local hospice around here for a number of years, and hospice does not advocate assisted suicide or personal suicide, no matter how uncomfortable a person is while dying. There are presently great ways to manage most kinds of pain associated with terminal illness and sickness, putting the patient in at least some degree of comfort in his final days. The doctors need to be educated on pain relief methods.

And yes, we have first person experience with this also in our family, my mother died at a young age of a quite aggressive and painful form of cancer...managed by the doctor quite well with pain killing drugs to keep her in a quite comfortable state in her final days. Her religion (Catholicism) does not advocate assisted death/euthanasia, and she held strong to her beliefs to her final hour.

Death is a part of life, as weird as that sounds. From the moment we are born, we are dying. A person's hope should be that death is a transition to eternal life on the other side.

I guess that is why they call me The CatholicPackerFan...just one Catholic's perspective.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Zulu declared...

I think the way the man is going about ending his life seems dignified and very controlled. It's not like he's making some rash decision. He's ill and he knows he will die at some point...this seems like a good option for him.

The guy I worked with that die recently didn't committ suicide but he did refuse treatment. It would have only prolonged his life and his pain for a few months and he didn't want to endure that. He went on his terms. Tough decision.

I am glad Eric is ok.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger mrhaney declared...

i am glad to hear eric is o.k. it is snowing today so there will be plenty of accidents. i am staying at home. i do not know what to say about the suicide thing. it is his life though and if he decides to end it it should be up to him. have a good day sha.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

Glad to hear Eric is ok...

I think for anyone to orchestrate his or her funeral, then go home and commit suicide, is 100% not all there. It is NOT normal for people to end their lives...PERIOD. This guy is ending his life because he feels science or whatever has failed him and there is no light at the end of the tunnel and he has no other way out. The people that went to this funeral are just as idiotic as he is... they should have stayed home and boycotted the wake.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Jennefer declared...

Hi Sha~ I'm so glad Eric is okay. That's must have scared you badly. Sending white light! Take care luv - and tell Eric we're thinking of him. :o)

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Dalton Hammond declared...

What an offbeat news item. I've linked to it. You like strange stuff? Try my Ghost and Alien stories. -- D.H.

http://daltonhammond.blogspot.com/

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Johnny the Horse declared...

What a post. Obviously one that was going to get a fair amount of reaction. As with all above I'm glad Eric is OK. Shakes the nerves up doesn't it?

The suicide thing is going do draw so many different reactions from so many different beliefs, and the comment area of a blog is not the place for an essay. It sounds to me as if he is competently in control. It is not a spur of the moment suicide, but planned and published. So many people say it's better to die on your feet than live on your knees, but in the next breath disagree with that sentiment and the dignity it provides. I wish Australia was as enlightened.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger euclid declared...

Marcel Tremblay's idea of a living wake is wonderful.
I hope the authorities don't turn around and harass
the people who kept him company during his final
moments.

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger chosendaughter declared...

Sha, read your blog, I'm going to enjoy reading your stuff. Nice cat, although I am a dog person. Had a cat as a child, loved her (Tammy) but I'm single so I need to keep a big dog for protection.

Regarding the right to taken ones own life, I don't see any dignity in placing a plastic bag over my head and killing myself.
Seems violent, not dignified.

I would think taking some sleeping pills and a bottle of Jack Daniels would be the ticket. Just go to sleep. It's unfortunate that he was afraid of the last days of his life, Many have surrounded themselves with loved ones and still gone peacefully. It is a profound experience. I have lived through it with a friends husband.

He's at peace nonetheless.

Glad you husband is OK.

Lydia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home