Thursday, February 10, 2005

V-Day Rant.

Blue2go asked me why I don't like Valentine's Day.

Good question.

Is it because it's too commercial? Well here's the thing. It's not too commercial. It's only commercial. Card companies and confectioners and florists tell us that we need to buy their wares to tell our spouses, partners or whathaveyou that we love them.

I disliked Valentine's Day as a Singleton and I dislike it as a Married Person. I don't abhor it. I just don't like the concept. Flowers would mean so much more to me if I received them on no special day. Chocolates would taste richer if they were brought home as a surprise. Jewellery would sparkle twice as much if was given to me for no particular reason.

I dislike the restaurants on Valentine's Day. Hordes of people going out and lining up to eat out. How is that fun or meaningful?

I dislike the decorations for Valentine's Day. Pink streamers and red balloons and white doilies. Yuck. Can you say tacky?

So there you have it. Here ends my V-Day rant. But rest assured I bought my boy a card and a gift. And I will likely wear something red to work that day. I'm not Valentine's Day Grinch or anything. It just rubs me the wrong way.

The Buzz:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger Cuppa declared...

Be sure to check your mailbox!!!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Magicfingers declared...

I agree with your rationale.
On your blog for yesterday you said something about your residents. I too have residents. It sounds like you might work in the same kind of place that I do. I am on a campus where we have an independant building, an assisted building with an alzheimers unit and we have a skilled nursing facility with 24 hour nursing care. I work in the snf. Which level and dept are you in?

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger happyandblue2 declared...

I always liked Valentines Day until I read this post.
Now I'm going to buy myself a big box of chocolates in a heart shaped box and eat them all but I won't enjoy them on purpose.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger mrhaney declared...

hello sha. well i like valentines day because i met my wife on that day 40 years ago. i do like to treat her special on each day and not just on valentines day. by the way, happy valentines day.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

Well sha, I USE to enjoy Valentine's Day... but my two ex-wives have cured me of that holiday.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger carrie declared...

I agree with your reasoning but I have to admit, I'd be pretty ticked if the boy didn't get me something!!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger blue2go declared...

Valentine's Day is a day for feelings, so it's certainly within bounds to not feel like it's a cool holiday! You have lots of good reasons for it, too. Not that a person needs reasons to not like something.

Valentine's Day is still my favorite day of the year!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger blue2go declared...

Ooh just read the comment "heart shaped box" and my heart started to beat faster!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home