Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Our Hero.

25 years. Hard to believe. Canada’s Terry Fox started his run 25 years ago. I was 7 years old and I remember it plain as day. His story and his courage stirs me now just as it did then.

My big savings of $7 went towards his Cause. I remember watching the televised drive and trying to discern when my $7 was added to the rapidly rolling money count. I was excited to be supporting him. He inspired me and I even crushed on him a little, just like I crushed on Shaun Cassidy or some other TV star.

Today when my eyes roamed over the front pages of all the major newspapers, his face stared back at me. I felt many emotions, not the least of which was a fierce pride. The grit and determination ingrained in his features just as I always will remember it. I don’t need to see his picture ever again. His face, his hair, his printed t-shirt and that endearing running lope he adopted are all permanently tattooed on my mind.

I was 7 years old then. I could not fully understand Cancer. I can barely understand it now. But I know that many in my life have been touched by it. I know that it makes me angry and that it makes me scared.

And finally, I know that I am still just as inspired to donate money to the Marathon of Hope as the day that I donated my meager $7.

The Buzz:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger happyandblue2 declared...

He is definitely a Canadian hero. And an impressive human being..

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo declared...

great post. great way to define heroism.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger blue2go declared...

I remember hearing about him, too. What a great man! And how good it was of you to help support him at such a young age. Why was he in the paper today? Is the marathon and Cause a yearly thing?

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Lewis declared...

If you feel the need to make a donation toward cancer research and help out a fellow blogger at the same time, check Zulu's sidebar.

I vaguely remember seeing a made-for-tv movie about his run. The scene I remember most vividly was the group of Hell's Angels pulling up beside his support van and everyone being terrified, until they tossed a wad of cash into the driver's lap and sped off into the distance.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Amanda declared...

Aww, what a nice post!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Rainypete declared...

Yes cancer and I are sworn enemies. I've run the Terry Fox race each year for the past 10 years and in addition I'm shaving my misshapen cranium bald this summer. After Mom had 2 operations, my mother in law was claimed and my 28 year old buddy is going toe to toe with leukemia I figure I have to tke a whack at it.
Give what you can, when you can. Do it becuase you want to not because someone told you and you'll find yourself feeling really warm and fuzzy all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home