Sunday, April 17, 2005

The Root of All Evil

We got more than we bargained for yesterday. Eric and I headed outside in the afternoon to clean up around the yard a bit. We have a corner lot so we end up with a lot of garbage debris on the lawn. While Eric raked, I cast my eye at the Evil Wild Rose Bush that grows at the end of our flower bed.

For whatever reason the previous owners had a real taste for the monstrosities. We had 4 or 5 lining the deck, 4 of which we pulled out last year.

But they were the small ones. The one that was left was the mother of all Wild Rose Bushes. So I attacked it and hacked it and dug and pulled and laboured over it all afternoon but now? No more rose bush!

I was so proud of my efforts that I attached pictures of the beast so that you could ooohhhh and aaahhhhh over my success.



Above is the picture of most of the scrub that came out with the Wicked Bush. Below is a close up of the roots.



Hideous ain't it?

So that along with my first crocus (Thanks Dad, Dale and CPF) was definately reason to celebrate. And by the way I now have six crocuses (crocii?) blooming!

{The only low point to yesterday is that my glasses got knocked off the deck and stepped on a few times. They are broken, broken, broken.}

Today I am an old woman. My muscles are crying out in protest. My back is creaking and my legs hurt when I sit down or stand up or crouch down. {Pretty much covers everything eh?)

Oh! And I forgot to tell you the rest. Not only did I remove the Root of All Evil from our premises but I also transplanted a misplaced Spirea bush to where the Hideous Beast used to reside. It's a much better spot for it. Hopefully it takes the transplant well.

Today I think that we might take it easy.

Enjoy Sunday in your neck of the woods!


The Buzz:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud declared...

"Today I am an old woman. My muscles are crying out in protest. My back is creaking and my legs hurt when I sit down or stand up or crouch down."

In another 30 years, you can feel like that every day -- without even having done anyhting the day before.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Ginger declared...

Ooo. I'm definitely impressed. That thing was ugly-bugly. Wish I were half so effective at rooting out Evil and planting Lovelies in its place.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger blue2go declared...

Good vs. Evil, and you won! I felt that way after a day of planting hundreds of trees with my Dad. I could barely get out of bed and he was ready to go for day two. He was 70 years old at the time, and I was still a young thing!

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger A declared...

I had to LOL when I read what you said about Crocuses-- Crocii-- because that is what my FIL calls them as a joke, and now my DH and I always call them Crocii!! LOL Love it. Also, have you tried taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM for the aches and pains? It seriously works. It takes about 3 months before you feel the effects of it, but it is the Wonder Pill of All Ages. Oprah even takes it (does that convince you?? LOL!)!

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger The Delawarean declared...

Where I come from, we'd have just hooked it to the back of a truck and drove away. But if you're into all that manual labor, go for it.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger happyandblue2 declared...

That was a lot of work. Are you healthy now..

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger mrhaney declared...

i hate yard work myself. i always feel bad in the morning after a full day in the yard. good luck to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home