Thursday, June 09, 2005

Day After Day After Day After Day....

Have I mentioned that I’m not a morning person? I’m sure that I have. I prefer to be left alone when I first come into the office. Just let me adjust to the day okay?

Every morning I have to go through the exact same chipper good morning routine with my co-worker.

She says: "Good morning Butterfly!"

I say: “Yeah…uh… good morning.”
I think: “What’s so fucking good about it?”

She says: “How are you?”

I say: “Fine….” Pause and realize she’s waiting for me to ask her: “How are you?”
I think: “I’m not really fine. I’m tired and I’d rather be at home than here with Mrs. Bright&Shiny…..and I don’t really care how you are either.”

She says: “Good thanks. Did you have a nice evening?”

I say (while rolling my eyes): “Um….yes…. thanks….. You?”
I think: “Leave me alone and let me quietly inject coffee into my veins!!!”

She says: “Good! We did ____ and _____ and _____.”

At this point if I’m lucky, make appropriate noises and nod my head she’ll leave me alone for a while. If I’m not lucky she’ll ask me how my husband’s doing and how about my sister. And say, are your parents keeping busy? Did they do this? Did they do that? Did you watch such and such TV show last night? What did you think?

Am I bitchy to want to dispense with the same freakin’ word routine that I’ve gone through every morning for the last 5 (five!) years?

I don’t want to be bitchy.

But I guess I am.

The Buzz:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger John B. declared...

We have one or two of those morning chippers here around the office...I hate mornings, am not a morning person, and like you don't want to be up and working at that time.

I don't mind saying 'good morning', I just don't want to rehash my evening or weekend first thing in the door.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Dale declared...

Yup. You're bitchy alright. But that's only in the morning, first thing. And if it's really how you are, how you feel, why don't you talk to your effervescent office mates and ask for a little "space" first thing in the morning? I had a mate like that at work. Chris. He was always so quiet in the morning. (4:00 am) I thought he was being a prick. So I asked. And we talked. Now, I respect his need to move slowly into the day.

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Lisa declared...

Bitchy? Nah. Those same questions day in and day out would become mighty tiresome for me to be hearing. (oh, just had a thought..wonder if my kids are mentally rolling their eyes when I ask how their days were, each and every day?) I'll have to think up some more interesting questions to ask of them

Dale: "...his need to move slowly into the day." that's a great way to word it, very appropriate.

(Your postcard's on it's way)

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger blue2go declared...

Yeah, it's a difference in perception. I used to think some co-workers were rather rude when they stomped by me (without saying a word)when they came in. Later in the morning they were more human after coffee.
Oh, I got your postcard! Thanks, what a pretty picture, I'll try to get one out today.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Karla declared...

It's too bad you don't have a backdoor entrace to side step your coworker.

There are two ways to enter onto the 29th floor offices where I work(ed). I always took the entrance where I didn't have to pass any humans and sat at my desk until I had a chance to humanize myself.

By then, all the chirpy good mornings where done. I know I came across as bitchy, but whatever...I just dont really like the people I work(ed) with anyways, so it's all good!

Aren't pleasantries and being polite annoying sometimes?

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger bounce declared...

Soooooooooooooo, how are you?

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Darlene declared...

No, you aren't bitchy! It's a natural instinct. Sometimes my husband and/or I tend to be like that early in the morning; want to just ease into the upcoming day, whether it's a workday or weekend.

As for at work, my boss tends to be cold towards us workers (unless he's in a good mood, which isn't often, but he sure turns on the charm with our highly-valued customers). We usually feel that he just wants us as machines to perform our work, and normally the atmosphere is stressful.

The only thing that keeps us there is that we love what we do and each other, so we truly mean it when we ask each other how it's going, and it gives us each a chance to vent our gripes, knowing we're behind each other. (Except for one co-worker who's a mini-version of the boss, only worse. He never responds to a simple "good morning", and he seldom responds to any human interaction throughout the day, unless he initiates it.)

(Sarah, when my daughter was growing up, she couldn't wait for my husband and me to ask how her day was after school, and if we didn't ask, she'd launch into every little detail. So I wouldn't worry unless you actually see your kids rolling their eyes, or if they hesitate before they answer you. Maybe tell your kids you love to hear about their days, but you're wondering if they're getting tired of it, and that you wouldn't mind if they'd rather you didn't. Odds are, they'll be honest.)

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger `*Pansy*~ declared...

That's not at all bitchy. I used to be one of those people, but got less enthused by being at work early in the morning as the years went by. Now when people do that to me when my workday starts *6am is the usual* I wonder who shoved a stick of sunshine up their caboose!! Especially since I avoid eye contact with them and don't smile if I'm not in the mood for a full on attack of happiness first thing in the morning. Everybody needs their space, and to break into the day at their own personal speed.

Thanks for the postcard, by the way! Your is on it's way if it hasn't already arrived...

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger swamp4me declared...

I am definitely a morning person but have learned over the years it is a dangerous thing to be :) Since I don't want anyone raining on my good mood first thing in the morning, I just tend to ignore the non-morning people and let them come around in their own time.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Jennefer declared...

lol I understand fully Sha. I like Dale's idea... chat with her and ask for some space in the morning. God - 5 years of that!?! That's enough to drive even the chippiest person to drink!
I got your post card thank you! I'll be sending one out today to you.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger mrhaney declared...

hello sha.
if you are not a morning person like me then tell her to leave you alone. you would rather not talk in the morning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home