Monday, December 05, 2005

Blessed

The previous night’s snowfall made the trees look spectacular on Friday. If you bothered to look ~ which many people don’t ~ the bare branches topped with pure white snow made beautiful lacework scenery every way you turned.

I go out at lunch pretty much every day. I need that time to get away from this soul sucking office environment. My strained eyes and sore neck desperately need the break every day. On this particular day I decided to take my camera to a close-by nature trail. That’s one of the beautiful things about where I live and work. You can be on crowded, dirty, city streets one minute and surrounded on all sides by nature the next.

I picked my path and sauntered along taking pictures as I went. It was quiet. The snow and the foliage blocked out much of the traffic noises that weren’t too far away. Big flakes of snow were falling all around me. Rounding a curve in the path I found myself staring at a deer. She was beautiful and didn’t seem nearly as surprised to see me as I was to see her. She peered curiously over her shoulder at me as I hurriedly snapped pictures as fast as my camera would allow me.

What I didn’t know was that I needn’t have rushed. I crept closer to her and crouched down to get a good shot. She stared at me for a moment then began to pick her way through the branches towards me. Her close proximity made me feel utterly blessed.

There in that quiet, serene wood on an otherwise busy Friday afternoon, I communed with that deer for awhile. We stood in each other’s presence for many long minutes. For a moment ~ however brief it was ~ I felt like all was right with the world. Here was this beautiful creature, this gift, which was within a couple feet of me. I murmured soft words in the hushed atmosphere of the snowy woods and felt a real sense of peace steal over me.

It turned out that I had to leave before that deer got tired of me. I didn’t want to go. I felt exhilarated and touched at this experience and as I apologetically walked away the doe followed me for a few steps and watched as I headed back down the path towards my life.

The Buzz:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Sally declared...

What a lucky and cool experience! I love deer - so graceful and serene and quiet. I hate that they are hunted but they are abundant and overpopulated in areas.

Nice post! Miss ya.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud declared...

Thanks for that, Little One. I've already written a post for tomorrow. Now I'll have to go back and revise a little, just to acknowledge this one.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Cuppa declared...

Beautiful writing, fabulous pictures. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger mrhaney declared...

great pictures. we do not see to many dear where i live. i own some property about 90 miles from where i live and there are a lot of farms and there are dear all around.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Dale declared...

"Doh! A deer! A female deer!"
~Homer Simpson~

Nice, Sha'. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger George Breed declared...

How beautiful!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Simply Coll declared...

Truly a wondrous experience.
Amazing photos.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger methatiam declared...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger methatiam declared...

(ooops, typo - Take2)
HEY! I've got a soul sucking office environment too! Can I come work where you are? I can't get a quiet snowy woodland and deer; at best I get dusty cactus and scorpions.

Beautiful picts, BTW.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger WT declared...

Awesome pic's!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Chelsea declared...

I could feel the peace as I read your post. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Jennefer declared...

I felt at peace just reading it Sha. Thank you.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Dawn declared...

Thanks for sharing these lovely pics of the deer. How nice to get that close and not have it run off.They are so graceful. Saw your blog, and the name attracted me as I love butterflies, so thought I'd drop by and say hello...from another Ontario resident.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home