Saturday, December 17, 2005

Hope is a side road.


Resilient creatures, we humans are. Just when you think you cannot possibly take anymore... Just when you think there's no way you can get up and face the day. ...Just when you feel like you've hit the bottom of despair and there's no turning back....

You find a way.

As the old saying goes "Hope Springs Eternal". And it's so true. Look down, look really deeply down to that place where you invite no one. You'll find it there. 'Cause you can't kill hope. Even when you're don't think it's there, it is. It sits quietly and infiltrates your most private thoughts before you realize that there is still hope within you.

If there's one thing I've learned in the past couple of years it's that we all have our own battles to fight and wars to wage. Sure, we have good times and bad times and better times but we all face something. Whether it's a marriage gone sour or a loved one facing cancer or lonliness or depression or infertility we all fight the good fight. Some days we shut down. We say to ourselves and each other, "this is it. I cannot do this anymore. I'm tired and beaten."

But sure as the sun will rise, so will hope. It'll be a whisper at first ~ but it's there.

I write this because I have gone through more self blame, self doubt, self hate, resignation and despair than I ever thought I could handle. There are days when I want to give up, when I cry myself to sleep, when I want to forget about the whole thing but somewhere in that deep well of my soul, hope springs.

The last couple of months I've given Hope a lot of thought. I've examined it and wondered at it. Two years ago, I didn't know the deep and unbreakable hope that lives within us. I didn't understand it. I would throw the word around easily and carelessly, not truly understanding. And I still don't completely understand how hope and the human spirit are so intertwined. In the past I hoped for things like a job offer, a winfall, a phone call, a good grade... And I still do hope for the littles things. But now I know the true power of hope. I understand that it really does spring eternal as well as I understand that I will have more days when I think that hope is gone.

The Buzz:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger michellejl declared...

Very inspiring, thanks! :)
And a great blog you have here!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Mike declared...

That is a lovely bit of writing. I hereby add my hopes to yours -- I hope that you see your hopes fulfilled.

I think that what you wrote about hope applies to love, and to the sort of spiritual grace that we generally refer to as God.

I believe that when we combine our hope/love/spirituality with that of other persons, in a positive way, we can improve the world.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Dale declared...

Thank you, Butterfly. It seemed as though you'd written this post for me. But I know it applies to us all. Hope is the path to miracles.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger PBS declared...

This is very inspiring and something for us all to keep in mind, thanks!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Simply Coll declared...

Lovely post. Hope often lines the road to peace.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Dee declared...

I found this thru visiting AC's blong and I must say it is truely inspiring. Wonderful way to look at things.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger methatiam declared...

We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Matt declared...

Very Inspiring post... and awesome photo.

Thank you and merry christmas!

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Michael Manning declared...

A Beutiful post that reminded me for fun, go to Mister Rogers website and click on lyrics he wrote. All filled with true Hope and Possibilities for the Future!

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Josie declared...

Beautiful post! Cheered me up so much...

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Lisa declared...

Thank you for the inspiring post. I have added you to my blogroll. :)

Happy Holidays!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Denny Shane declared...

Great posting as always! Glad to see you're back!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger happyandblue2 declared...

You have a lot of people, like me, who are hoping that only the best goes to you..

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Rainypete declared...

Hope and I have long been friends. Without the aid fo such a thing the world is a truly bleak place.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Michael Manning declared...

Rainy Pete is right. And you've been reading my mind! HOPE is as essential as breathing. So keep it up! AND HAPPY BELATED NEW YEAR!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Thomas declared...

I found hope in the most unlikely of places. In myself and my wife.

Good luck to you and your family!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger That Girl declared...

this is the type of post that everyone needs to read sometimes. thanks for it.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Pri declared...

had a huge debate on a similar issue on my blog...
topic of post is : "hope!! shud we??"---its a humble poem written by moi ...
chk it out if u hav the time *smiles*
would like to know if its still okay to hav hope whn we knowtht we gonna be dissapointed in the end...

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Thien Thanh declared...

I visit your blog by chance. And I really love your blog. I am really impressed by the passage you wrote about HOPE - "Hope is a side road". Because I can see me in everything you shared, and I agree with you all. Happiness keeps you sweet... Trials keep you strong... Sorrows keep you human... Failures keep you humble... Success keep you glowing... But only belief keeps you going... That is hope. Hope will lit up a fire to warm your heart when it is full of rain, cold and darkness. When I'm down, I usually look up into the sky and pray and hope... At that time, my heart seems not to be hurt anymore, my tears are wipen away, and my soul is free. Then, I know for sure that my spirit never dies. It just needs time for me to make up my mind. And I know deep within my heart, there's still hope... Though, it's just a small voice, but it's true, and it's always there in your heart. So always listen to that voice and you will find a way out of pain, sorrows, fear and tears... Blue is a color of HOPE. That's why I like blue. When I see it, then my heart, my soul and my spirit are full of hope and freedom. So thanks for everything you shared about hope. Thanks for lifting up my spirit. Thank you ^_^ Oh, I give you my e-mail. So please keep in touch with me by sending e-mail, Ok??? I want to exchange with you more. I want to learn. So please reply me as soon as possible. I'll wait for your reply. My e-mail address is: butterflythanh@yahoo.com

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger mattergy declared...

Ironically, I first presented warning symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis the week this article was published...are you trying to be psychically-apt as well as well?

--mattergy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home